Every summer since 1991, Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman, aka Dr. Beach, has released his list of the best US beaches
. He travels the country throughout the year judging beaches based on the water and sand quality, the facilities available, and safety. Last year Florida
’s own, Siesta Beach, took first place. Beaches cannot be ranked again after they were named America’s Best Beach, so Siesta Beach is no longer on the list. However, once again a few local Florida
beaches have made the top 10 list, making these the perfect places to take a Fort Lauderdale kayak rental.
Dr. Beach’s 2012 Top US Beaches
- Coronado Beach: Located in San Diego, California, the beach is 1 ½ mile long, wide and flat making this sandy beach perfect for sunbathers.
- Kahanamoku Beach: Located in Waikiki, Oahu, Hawaii, a shallow offshore reef protects the beach from large waves crashing down on the shoreline. This beach is perfect for swimming and families with children.
- Main Beach: This beach is located in East Hampton, New York and covered in breathtaking quartz sand dunes.
- St. George Island State Park: Located in the Florida panhandle it is a couple hours from Fort Lauderdale, Dr. Beach loved their white sandy beaches and crystal clear water.
- Hamoa Beach: This beach is actually inside a breached volcanic crater in Maui, Hawaii
- Coast Guard Beach: Located along the Cape Cod National Seashore the sand is fairly coarse, but the spectacular view is enough to make a trip here worth it.
- Waimanalo Bay: Oahu, Hawaii is the home of America’s seventh greatest beach. The park has ample parking, restrooms, outdoor showers, and a good beach for swimming.
- Cape Florida State Park: Less than an hour from Fort Lauderdale, this beach is worth visiting and taking a sup rental or kayak rental to.
- Beachwalker Park: Located in Kiawah Island, S.C another great place for kayak rentals because this beach is known as “nature-lovers” coast.
- Cape Hatteras: This beach is perfect for board surfing along the Outter Banks of North Carolina in the crystal clear ocean.
If you are visiting the beautiful beaches in the Fort Lauderdale
area like Cape Florida State Park, don’t forget to bring a jet ski or kayak rental
from American Watersports. Kayak rentals
are a great way to spend time with your family in the beautiful Florida
oceans. It’s also a great way to see aquatic animals and plants in their natural habitat. Contact American Waterports by calling 954-946-1811
and reserve a kayak rental